Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Another Two American Revolution Units

In between painting my 15mm Union cavalry (see previous post), I've also been working on two additional units for my American Revolution armies.  I'm running a game on Saturday, August 31, and felt I needed these two units with their different characteristics.

First, a battalion of Miniature Figurine British grenadiers:

The 1st British Grenadier Battalion, composed of companies from the 4th, 5th 10th, 17th, 22nd, 23rd, 27th, 35th, 38th, and 40th Foot Regiments.
The British army in North America removed the grenadier (and light) companies from their infantry battalions and "converged" them into 10-company battalions.  Initially formed for the New York City campaign in 1776, they remained on the order of battle until the final actions at Yorktown.  Losses were filled by drafts from the original regiments or others if the originals had been deployed elsewhere.  This battalion will eventually be joined by the 2nd Grenadier Battalion.

Second, not a new unit but two new commanders:

Hessian Colonels von Donop (left) and von Schamm (right)
I've had these two mounted officers for a while and decided to go ahead and get them painted while I was in a revolutionary frame of mind.  I'm sure you'll recognize Colonel von Donop, who was the inhaber of the Musketeer Regiment von Donop and led Hessian forces in North America.  But you may not be familiar with Colonel von Schamm, who attacked an American fort at the "Battle of Bagle Heights" and when defeated joined the American cause, saying that he was "... a Hessian without no aggression" and "If you can't beat them, join them."

Third, my first American militia unit, the Southern District Militia Regiment.  This regiment is not patterned on any particular state's militia but labeled so that I can use it just about anywhere.  It is composed of Miniature Figurines and (probably) Frontier figures.

The American Southern District Militia  Regiment
They will eventually have three compatriot regiments - the Northern District, Eastern District, and River District regiments.

They will be in action on Saturday.  I hope they do well.


No comments: