Wednesday, November 28, 2007

My First "BIG" Battalion

I've mounted my first "big" battalion of 24 Sash & Saber Russian infantry. They are mounted on 3/4" Litko bases (with self-stick metal sub-bases) and then onto magnetic movement bases. The individual bases still need to be terrained, but that will come over the coming days.













The mounted officer is a Front Rank Prussian who was "pressed" into service as a Russian.











In my imagi-nations, this battalion will be part of the army of the Duchy of Courland.














I also tried the "dip" method with these figures. The picture shows a newly painted musketeer (mounted on the nail) and a similar figure after being dipped. The MinWax stain adds a bit of definition to my average painting job and makes the miniature look a little better.







Another battalion of Russians, errr Courlanders, awaits individual bases and then it is on to my Prussians, ummm army of the Duchy of Carpania.

5 comments:

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Those are some handsome looking figures you've painted there. Nice job! I might have to try MinWax as a dip myself sometime too.

Best Regards,

Stokes Schwartz

Stagonian Jeff said...

Colonel,

I like them too. Also, from personal experience, a very thin coat of paint over the magnetic movement tray doesn't seem to interfere with its magnetism . . . although I wouldn't try flocking, etc.

I use a paint color that is quite close to the treatment I give my bases and that seems to help the bases "blend" into the movement tray. You might consider this rather than leaving the tray in "magnet brown".


-- Jeff

Ed said...

Nice work. Will these be making the trip to MCon 2008?

Ed v. H-F

ColCampbell50 said...

Stokes - after painting with acrylic craft paints, I "glazed" the figures with Future then brushed on undiluted MinWax, followed by sealing with Delta Ceramcoat Matte Sealer.

Jeff - Thanks, I'll try that. The movement stands aren't completed yet as I need to paint the edges and install a marker board on the rear for the unit designation.

Ed - Yes, they will be part of the Central Mississippi contingent if my planning comes to fruition.

Jim

MurdocK said...

Excellent that you use the minwax 'dip' also!

Looking good for a 'big battalion'