Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Swashing Our Buckles with Gloire

A new period in which I have become interested is Swashbuckling using the Gloire rules. I ran a rather large playtest with my wargaming buddies and then ran a game at Bayou Wars Convention in New Orleans in June 2007. The battle report for the large playtest is located at:


I modified the "Find the Messenger" scenario that was posted on the RatTrap Productions web site ( www.rattrap-productions.com/Gloire/Index.html ) for the play test game. It had many more players than is designed for the game, but everyone had fun and many sword blows were exchanged


I used the "Find the Messenger" scenario at Bayou Wars with four players. It also went well and they seemed to have fun.


I made my own 2' x 2' game board out of a piece of pre-cut plywood painted a basic green. I then painted in the road in a basic brown. Using a piece of a sponge, I splotched in different shades of green to get the grass effect without flocking the board. The road was wet brushed with different shades of brown to get the effect of ruts. Even though it was a very basic terraining job, I was pleased with the effect.


My figures are a mix of Brigade Games musketeers, Foundry, and Old Glory. Here is a close-up of some of them.







1 comment:

Fitz-Badger said...

I have been interested in the Gloire rules. Any thoughts on suitability for solo play?