Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Some Old School Soldiers

Several days ago, Snickering Corpses, the owner of the Principality of Hesse-Engelburg blog posted some pictures of older 30mm figures that he had acquired to see if anyone could help him identify them. To my surprise, one of them was almost an exact match to an old Scruby 30mm Bavarian Napoleonic figure I had - except mine has a plume on the side of the casque and his didn't. (http://hesse-engelburg.blogspot.com/2009/03/figure-identification-further-photos.html)

Back in the early 1970s I got a sample of Jack's 30mm Napoleonic figures that include a mounted Napoleon, a Chasseur a Cheval of the Guard, and six infantrymen. I painted the six infantry but have never gotten around to the two mounted figures. The infantry grace my cubicle at work and I decided to show them off here.

They are mounted on circular 40mm Litko bases which have had terrain effects added.


Here are the three Coalition figures -- an unidentified light (?) infantryman that I painted in a green jacket and gray pants, a stalwart British center company infantryman, and an early Prussian (I think) musketeer.


And the French and allies -- a French grenadier in bearskin, a French line leger, and a Bavarian grenadier (this is the match to SC's figures).

I had to touch these up before I mounted them as their paint had become chipped over the years. Additionally the British figure had snapped off at the ankles and needed drilling and pinning in both legs. That was a chore, but turned out fine.

3 comments:

Ken said...

Based on the size of the cockade, I'm going to propose the possibility that the "early Prussian" figure may actually be Spanish. I can't remember if the tails on the coat of the "bicorne Spanish" were that short.

I'm getting some of the old Wargames South bicorne Spaniards for my 10mm Peninsular project. :-)

ColCampbell50 said...

Ken,

Thanks. These figures are about 35 years old and IIRC didn't come identified. That on e being Prussian was just a guess.

Jim

Ken said...

Oh, I understand completely, mon Colonel. I'm pretty much guessing myself.