Friday, August 10, 2012

Prussian Artillery - WIP

The Brom's Colonial Barracks convention is the first weekend in November.  This year they have expanded it from just The Sword and the Flame rules and variants to any rules written by Larry Brom.

I am gathering troops to run a Franco-German War (AKA Franco-Prussian War) battle using Larry's Chassepot and Needlegun rules.  It will feature troops owned and painted by my buddies Lord Sterling and Doc Ord as well as mine.  But the Germans are a little short on artillery so I've been painting two batteries of Prussian light artillery (4-lbrs).





These six guns are really Ral Partha Colonial Egyptian Krupp guns.  But they are Krupps!  Each battery is represented by three guns and six gunners.  I've just glued the guns to the bases and will add the already painted gunners (Castaway Arts) once the glue dries.  The gunners are coming from some "heavier" Prussian guns that will be re-purposed as Prussian heavy 6-lbr guns, with new gunners also from Castaway Arts.

I've also got two batteries of French 8-lbr breech-loaders in progress.  Since my French force is loosely based on the Army of the Loire which fought the Germans south of Paris after the main French armies were defeated, I've taken the liberty of arming them with the newly developed 8-lbr breech-loader designed by de Reffye (link).  Unfortunately no one makes such a model so I'm using American Civil War 12-lb Napoleon gun-howitzers.  The carriage and barrel are close-enough for my purposes as I'm not too much of a stickler.  I'll post some pictures later.

No comments: